What if I don't have my W-2 yet?

MrMilo Member Posts: 1 Level 3

What happens if I still don't have all the paperwork I need, and the extension deadline is next week. Can I file a second extension?


  • RustyL
    RustyL FreeTaxUSA Agent Posts: 22
    edited October 2023

    Great Question!

    Unfortunately, you won't be able to file a second extension, but there are some other things you can try.

    First of all, it's important to note that if you are owed a refund, there won't be any penalties assessed for late filing. If you owe tax, though, you'll want to get your information before you file, if at all possible. If you don't have your forms yet, there are a couple of things you can try.

    1. You can reach out to the issuer of the form (i.e. employer, fiduciary) directly to get the form.
    2. If that doesn't work, you can get a transcript from the IRS which will include all the information they have received. You can request that transcript here. In this case you'll generally want to request a Wage and Income Transcript.

    However, if you aren't able to get all of your information and you expect to owe, you can file your return with the information you have and an estimated payment. This can limit or completely eliminate both the late filing penalty and the late payment penalty. Once you do have your information you can then go back in and amend your return to make corrections.