Do i have to get federal approved before filing state?

Emma55
Emma55 Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

I completed my federal return first and didn't finish and pay for the state return. After I filed the federal return I went right back and completed and paid for my state return. Now it says I have to mail my state! I thought I could e-file it too. I did notice the federal return is not approved yet. Does it have to be?

Tagged:

Answers

• PamelaP
    PamelaP FreeTaxUSA Agent Posts: 10

Hi Emma55,

This can be a bit confusing when each return is filed separately, but the good news is that generally once your Federal tax return is accepted, you should be able to E-file the State tax return as well.

State returns can only be E-filed if they are submitted from the same account as the original E-filed Federal return. When E-filed at different times, this also means the Federal tax return does need to be either accepted or rejected by the IRS before the State can also be E-filed.

Once the status of your Federal tax return is updated, you can select "Filing" > "Filing Method" to select the option to E-file your State return. Then you can complete the final few screens to E-file.

I hope that clarifies things!