SSI retirement


Do I report all wages from this and include my children's benefits?


  • Taxlady06
    Taxlady06 FreeTaxUSA Agent

    Supplemental security income (SSI) is not taxable income, and you do not enter it anywhere in our software or on your tax return. It is not reported to the IRS as income. It is treated the same as welfare benefits or workers' compensation, which are other sources of income that are not taxable and are not reported on a tax return.

  • MatthewD
    MatthewD FreeTaxUSA Team

    Hi CritterMom,

    Let's clarify what you meant by SSI. Sometimes that is confused with Social Security Benefits reported on an SSA-1099. Is that what you get? If so, you do report those benefits on a tax return.

    If your children are getting social security benefits due to a death of a parent, then do NOT report those on your personal tax return. They need to file their own tax return (if needed). They also get an SSA-1099 form. However, unless they have other types of income, then they generally do not need to report their SSA-1099 on a tax return.

    Does that answer your question?