my child works last year she earn $6,500 can we file together as my dependent if yes what form



  • stvmia
    stvmia Member Newcomer

    Is your "child" an adult? How old? Does she have a disability and does she live 100% of time with you?

  • MatthewD
    MatthewD FreeTaxUSA Team

    Hi Calnash,

    I agree with @stvmia above. Some information is missing to provide a complete answer.

    Even though you claim a dependent on your tax return, you should never claim that dependent's income on your personal income tax return. That dependent needs to file her own tax return. Create a new account on FreeTaxUSA and make sure you answer YES that she can be claimed on another return.

    Also, see this IRS interactive tax assistant about Whom May I Claim as a Dependent to see if you can claim her as a dependent.