Daugther is 18 ,lives with me 100% of time she has earn $6,500 last yr.can I file her as dependent?.



  • Taxlady06
    Taxlady06 FreeTaxUSA Agent

    In general, if your child was age 18 or younger at the end of the year (or age 23 or younger and a student, or disabled and any age), then you can claim your child as a dependent if your child didn't provide over half of his or her own support during the year.

    There are a lot of special rules and detailed definitions for claiming a dependent that are found in the Form 1040 instructions. If your situation is not typical, please reference the Form 1040 instructions for full details on whether you can claim someone as a dependent.

    You may also use the IRS' interactive assistant to decide whom you may claim as a dependent.