For tax year 2023, I'll be filing IRS form 8283 for noncash charitable contributions. Upon

Options
masa6136
masa6136 Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

completing our taxes with Free Tax USA, how would I incorporate this form into my completing tax for electronic federal & state filing?

Answers

• CarleneF
    CarleneF FreeTaxUSA Agent Posts: 27
    edited November 2023
    Options

Select Deductions/Credits>Donations. There is a question that asks, "Did you contribute more than $500 worth of noncash donations?" Answer, yes to that question, then continue through to the next screens. The software will ask you questions about the organization that you donated to and then it will ask you about what you donated. Based on what is entered, Form 8283 will be filled out and included with your returns, but only if you file with itemized deductions. If you take the standard deduction, it will not show up because it is not needed.

• masa6136
    masa6136 Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

Thank you — however, the form requires signatures from the charity as well as an appraiser certifying the value of the donated good. I already have these required signatures and wish to merge this into the overall tax documents.

• CarleneF
    CarleneF FreeTaxUSA Agent Posts: 27
    Options

The software does not support entering information into Section B of Form 8283. If you are required to provide the information on Section B, an option you have is to enter the correct amount in the software, but then choose to mail your return. After you have printed your return, you can swap the Form 8283 provided with the Form 8283 that you already have and then mail your return.

Here are the instructions on Form 8283 to see when it's required to provide the information in section B: https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i8283