Online tax filing for US resident abroad

Options
Baban
Baban Member Newcomer

I am a permanent resident of US and have been living and working in EU. I also have a very few investment in US stock. Can I file my tax online and also apply for tax credits since the country where I am working have tax treaty with US?

Tagged:

Answers

• MatthewD
    MatthewD FreeTaxUSA Team
    Options

Do you have foreign earned income? If so, I would recommend another tax service, since we do not currently support the forms to report foreign earned income. Will you give me a little more information about your earned income? Thanks.

• Baban
    Baban Member Newcomer
    edited December 2023
    Options

Hi,

Thank you for your response, I really appreciate it.

Yes, I am employed as full-time Researcher in EU for about 4 years now. I become US permanent resident in June this year. As for the investment in US, I invested about 3k into US market.

• MatthewD
    MatthewD FreeTaxUSA Team
    Options

Hi Baban,

Thank you for the additional information. As a permanent US resident you are required to file a Form 1040 on your worldwide income. I recommend you seek out assistance from a tax professional to assist you with your 2023 tax return. We cannot assist you since you have foreign earned income and we do not support your situation in our software.

• AlexO
    AlexO FreeTaxUSA Agent
    Options

Thanks for the reply!

Because you have foreign income, I do recommend filing elsewhere. Depending on the facts and circumstances, you may either be able to claim a credit for foreign tax paid or exclude the foreign earned income. FreeTaxUSA does not support either for foreign-earned income.

• Baban
    Baban Member Newcomer
    Options

Ok, thanks a lot, I really appreciate your time.