7 year old child with autism

renishap1981 Member Newcomer
edited January 15 in Credits/Deductions

Hello, on the tax form it asked if you have a dependent with a disability and I always say yes. Is there any tax deductions or credits I can take? I file the standard deduction, because I really don't have much I can itemize. I don't own a home, tuition/college exp, and my out of pocket medical expenses never exceeds 8% of my adjusted gross income. I have summer camp expenses and after school but I typically just contribute to the FSA dependent care through my job insurance to recoup some of those taxes back. My gross salary with bonus typically runs around $118,000, so I usually get phased out of any tax breaks.


Best Answer

  • Paul_H
    Paul_H FreeTaxUSA Agent
    Answer ✓

    There are a few credits available. Firstly, the Child Tax Credit is given to any taxpayer with a gross income less than $200,000 ($400,000 if married filing jointly) who claims a child under the age of 17. Note: these income limits are based on 2022 numbers and could possibly change for the 2023 tax year.

    Another credit is the Child Care Credit. If you paid child care expenses so you can work or look for work, then you probably qualify for this credit. There are a few more tests to see if you qualify for this credit, which you can find on this IRS publication on page 3: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p503.pdf

    A gross income of $118,000 would exclude you from claiming the Earned Income Credit, unfortunately.

    Our software will automatically try to help you find any other credits that you qualify for. To find the credits listed above, log into your FreeTaxUSA account and progress to the 'Deductions/Credits' tab to find the 'Child Tax Credit' and 'Child Care Credit' screens.


  • BenjaminS
    BenjaminS FreeTaxUSA Agent

    Great question! There are no specific credits or deductions for dependents who are disabled. The best credits/deductions to check for though would be the Child Care Credit, Earned Income Credit, Child Tax Credit, and the Additional Child Tax Credit. Depending on your income these could phase out, yes. Our software will calculate the amounts for you.