Tax credits

Options
Krista778
Krista778 Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

I am a single mom that was unemployed during 2023. What tax credits if any are available to me?

Best Answer

• PhillipB
    PhillipB FreeTaxUSA Team Posts: 33
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello, and thank you for the question.

Unfortunately, your refundable credits will be lower than you may be used to if your income is only coming from unemployment income. The earned income credit and the refundable child tax credit requires some income from working to get any of those credits as part of your refund. You should qualify for the nonrefundable child tax credit if there is any tax on your return.

Let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Answers

• Darla
    Darla Member Posts: 3 Newcomer
    Options

Can I do and edit to my 2021 and 2022 on freetax usa

• Darla
    Options

How does setc work?

• PhillipB
    Options

Yes. You can do prior year returns and prior year amended returns in our software.

• RustyL
    RustyL FreeTaxUSA Agent Posts: 22
    Options

Hi Darla,

You can file an amendment with us to correct your prior year returns. If you filed the original returns with us as well, you will just need to log into your account on the appropriate year, which you can do here:

https://www.freetaxusa.com/prior-year.jsp

Then you'll select the 'Amend Tax Return' button that will appear on the right hand side of your screen to start the amendment. The software will walk you through it from there.

If you didn't file the original return with us, you can follow these steps to amend your return after signing into the software.

1.) Enter all of your information as it was entered on your original return.
    2.) Pay for the state return, if you plan on amending it as well.
    3.) You may also want to buy our Deluxe package as it comes with amendments.
    4.) Finalize the return by continuing through the software to the 'Check Status/Print Tax Return' page under the 'Filing' tab.
    5.) Make sure you select that you want to mail the return, as your original return won't be accepted if you already filed it. We are also unable to e-file prior year returns at this time.
    6.) Select the 'Amend Tax Return' button on the right side of the screen to begin your amendment.
    7.) If you have already received a refund or paid taxes for the original return, you will need to enter this. If you have not yet received your refund yet, enter zero.

Once you have done this, you can make any changes that you need to, and continue again to the 'Check Status/Print Tax Return' page under the 'Filing' tab to finalize the amendment.

If you didn't e-File your original return with us or if it is a prior year return, you will be unable to e-File your amendment.

• PhillipB
    Options

I assume you are referring to the sick-leave credits for self-employed people during Covid. For certain periods of time during the pandemic, there were varying amounts available as a tax credit if self-employed individuals who spent time off of work in there business because they had COVID, cared for others with COVID, or had kids without daycare options because of COVID lockdowns. It was available on 2020, 2021, and 2019 returns.

• Darla
    Options

I am referring to self employed tax credit. Can I file the form in freetax.usa?

• JMSSGV
    JMSSGV Member Posts: 74 Level 5
    Options

Not sure what you're referring to. There's nothing called a Self-Employed Tax Credit.

• PhillipB
    Options

The self-employed tax credit is simply referring to the Credits for Sick Leave and Family Leave for Certain Self-Employed Individuals - the credit I mentioned above. In googling "Self Employed Tax Credit" you see a few "tax firms" trying to package it like it is a different tax loophole by calling it the Self-Employed Tax Credit or even treating it like a grant. You can claim the Credits for Sick Leave and Family Leave for Certain Self-Employed Individuals using FreeTaxUSA for the years I mentioned previously.

• jfncan34
    jfncan34 Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

Is FreeTax USA capable of processing "The Massachusetts Senior Circuit Breaker Tax Credit"?

• Henry
    Henry FreeTaxUSA Agent Posts: 86
    Options

Hi jfncan34, our software does support claiming that credit when you prepare an MA tax return. The Circuit Breaker Tax Credit allows senior citizens in Massachusetts to claim a refundable credit for the real estate taxes they paid on their residential property they own or rent up to $2,590 for 2023. If you are age 65 or older, you will be prompted to fill out the applicable information for claiming the credit as you go through the state screens, and we'll check to see if you qualify.

You can refer to pg 3 of the MA Form 1 instructions for more information about the 2023 qualifications for the credit.

• jfncan34
    jfncan34 Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

Henry, thank you for the info.