Filing starus

Options
sf1979
sf1979 Member Newcomer

How should I file if I'm married and I work and my husband is on disability. I make a lot more money. Should I file married filing jointly or head of household?

Tagged:

Answers

• marink
    marink FreeTaxUSA Agent
    Options

Hello! The IRS has a great tool that can help you determine your filing status. Here is the link: https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/what-is-my-filing-status

You are also able to compare your refund/tax amounts by changing your filing status after inputting all of your information. You are able to change your status by going to the 'Filing Status' page listed under 'Personal'.

• JMSSGV
    JMSSGV Member Level 5
    Options

You cannot file as Head of Household if you are married on the last day of the tax year unless you lived apart from your husband for at least the last six months of the year (and meet the other requirements.)

• sf1979
    sf1979 Member Newcomer
    Options

Thank you. I started a new job. Should I change my filing status to head of household or file married filing jointly? My husband is on disability and gets Medicare

• Kaybee
    Kaybee Member Level 3
    Options

You can file a joint return with your husband despite his source of income. You cannot file as head of household now that you are married. Its married filing joint or married filing separately.

• sf1979
    sf1979 Member Newcomer
    Options

Thank you