Nancy L.

Options
itune88
itune88 Member Posts: 3 Newcomer
edited January 15 in After you file

When i file 2023 taxes for my sister, who passed away in June, do i sign my name as the person who prepared the return? My sister also used FreeTaxUSA, so her previous returns are in their system. She was single with no dependents.

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Taxlady06
    Taxlady06 FreeTaxUSA Agent Posts: 59
    Answer ✓
    Options

I am sorry for your loss. When you file a tax return for a deceased individual, the tax return is filed pretty much like normal, but we'll print the decedent's date of death on the tax return and, if necessary, we'll include Form 1310 with the tax return.

If you tell us that the taxpayer is deceased and you're due a refund, you'll be asked to enter information for Form 1310 in the Misc > Personal > Deceased Taxpayer or Spouse (Form 1310) section of the software.

Only include income that was earned by the decedent from the beginning of the year until the date he or she passed away. Deductions on the tax return are just like a normal tax return other than the deductions must have been paid before the date of death. The exception is medical expenses paid within one year after the date of death can be elected to be considered to have been paid by the decedent and deducted on the final tax return.

You will then sign the return as the representative for the deceased individual.

• AlexO
    AlexO FreeTaxUSA Agent Posts: 74
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello, itune88!

I am sorry to hear of your loss.

When you prepare your sister's 2023 return, you don't need to indicate anywhere on the return that you're preparing her return. However, if you wish, you can designate yourself as the third-party designee.

If your sister does have an executor or administrator for her estate, a copy of the court certificate showing the appointment must be attached to the tax return. The tax return must be mailed instead of e-filed so a copy of the certificate can be attached.

If your sister does not have an executor or administrator for her estate, you may need to prepare Form 1310 to claim a refund, if applicable.

Our software can prepare Form 1310 for you.

• itune88
    Answer ✓
    Options

thank you!

Answers

• itune88
    Options

Thank you for your help!

I am her executor. Can I upload the paper & have the return filed electronically?

One answer stated if must be mailed in & want to make sure I do things correctly.

Also, her checking account will be closed soon. If there is a refund, can I have it deposited in her significant other’s checking account? He is the sole heir of her small estate that consists of the small home they shared & all furnishings.

• KeriC
    KeriC FreeTaxUSA Agent Posts: 93
    Options

Since Form 1310 is being included with her return, the return will need to be mailed in.

You will be able to indicate that her significant other will be receiving her refund on Form 1310. The option to select direct deposit for the refund will be available.