Which state?

Pjlover1969 Member Newcomer
edited January 15 in State Filing

I live in north carolina but have been in working in Georgia for the past 6 months. Do I need to file in both states?


Best Answer

  • marink
    marink FreeTaxUSA Agent
    Answer ✓

    Generally, yes, you will need to file for both.

    If you are only living in North Carolina and not Georgia at all, then you will need to file a full-year resident return for the state of NC. You will then need to file a non-resident Georgia state return so that your W-2's can be reported to the correct state.

    However, if you have been living in both states, then you will need to file as a part-year resident for both states.