Missing Health Insurance Forms for Prior Year

bnalicea Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

I am missing health insurance forms that prove I had health insurance for a prior year that I need to file for. I have already contacted the marketplace (it was Mass Health Connect), and they said they would send them, but that was 3 months ago and I still don't have them.

How can I file my prior year taxes without these while also avoiding getting penalized?!


  • CoryF
    CoryF FreeTaxUSA Agent Posts: 65

    That is a good question.

    The best advice is to continue to call the marketplace over and over until you have the proper forms in hand and kept with your tax records. It is their job to make sure you have the proper forms showing your Health Coverage for the year. It is possible that they were lost in the mail over that 3-month time frame. You may ask to receive a faxed copy or emailed copy. if that is available. Sometimes the hassle is worth the time when contacting government agencies, so that you have what you need to file your tax returns.

  • RyanEA
    RyanEA Member Posts: 3 Level 2

    It is best to wait to file the prior year tax return until you have all of your documents, otherwise you may be required to file an amended federal and possibly state tax return.

    You can begin the prior year tax return in FreeTaxUSA while waiting for the forms, and then enter the information when you receive the forms.

    I recommend that you contact MassHealth (https://www.mahealthconnector.org/about/contact) to follow up regarding the already requested forms. I also recommend that you log into your MassHealth account and search for a form from prior year.

    The only way to avoid penalties related to tax returns is to file all returns and make all required payments ON TIME. Generally, penalties and interest are only assessed on a balance due, though some taxing jurisdictions will assess a late filing penalty even if you don't owe.