I have some questions in regards to filing taxes for someone else.

Options
oconnorjjo
oconnorjjo Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
edited January 15 in General

My father-in-law died this year and I need to file my mother-in-law's 2023 tax return since she is unable to do so. We already have an account with FreeTaxUSA we've been using for years using our own email address.

Can we set up a new account for filing her taxes using our email address that will be separate from our account?

Also, state taxes will be more complicated this year since we needed to move her from Louisiana to Wisconsin and sell her house. Last year they used H&R Block to file their taxes. Do you have any recommendations in regards to filing taxes for her this year? I have always handle the filing of our own taxes but never for anyone else.

Tagged:

Best Answers

• CarleneF
    CarleneF FreeTaxUSA Agent Posts: 27
    Answer ✓
    Options

You can set up a new account with the same email address, but for your mother-in-law. You'll just to make sure to use a different username.

It sounds like it's possible that she will need to file both a Louisiana and Wisconsin tax return. If she moved during the year, she'd most likely be a part-year resident of both. You'll be able to easily add a second state in our software.

• oconnorjjo
    oconnorjjo Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thank you!