Using HSA to pay for adult child's healthcare

malonzo1985 Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
edited January 15 in General

My adult son (19) received a bill for a hospital visit recently and I am wondering if I can use my HSA to cover the expense. He is on my HDHP but it is not likely that I will claim his a dependent for the 2023 tax year. I did however claim him for the 2022 tax year so I just want to make sure before I pay that bill that I am not going to get penalized. Thank you



  • RBorch
    RBorch FreeTaxUSA Agent Posts: 22

    It may be best for you to reach out to your HSA.

    Generally, you can use your HSA funds to pay for the care of adult dependents if they count as a qualifying child, which means they are considered a dependent on your tax return and they are under 19, under 24 and full-time students, or are permanently and totally disabled.