Dental implants

lambchops1525 Member Posts: 5 Newcomer

I had implants with permanent dentures done upper five years ago and bottom 4 years ago for mentical reasons didn’t know I could write it off when I had it done


  • CoryF
    CoryF FreeTaxUSA Agent Posts: 65

    This is a good question, lambchops.

    Yes, you can deduct these expenses as medical expenses on your itemized deductions in the year that you paid the dental fees. You can find more information in Publication 502 on page 5.

    However, since this was done more that 3 years ago, an amendment to include these expenses will not have any effect on a possible refund amount. The IRS closes prior tax years after 3 years on filing date, usually on April 15th. So, a 2019 tax return amendment for refund purposes would be closed on April 15, 2023.