Paid Family Leave

Valeria2023 Member Posts: 5 Newcomer

I have received paid family leave benefits. I have been told they are not taxable. Should I still report that income when I file?


Best Answer

  • rachels
    rachels FreeTaxUSA Agent Posts: 50
    Answer ✓

    Hi Valeria2023,

    Paid Family Leave is typically taxable income and should be reported on your tax return. You may receive a 1099-G reporting that income. If you get a 1099-G, you can enter that in your FreeTaxUSA account by going to Income > Common Income > Unemployment Compensation (1099-G).

    Depending on your situation, it is possible that your PFL will be reported on your W-2 instead of a 1099-G. If that happens for you, you will just enter your W-2 like normal, and the Paid Family Leave will be taxed along with your normal wages.