dependent question

hillelana1 Member Newcomer
edited January 15 in General

My daughter will be married, a student, 23 years old, and I will be providing most of her support, and she will not file taxes. Can I count her as my dependent on my taxes?



  • CarleneF
    CarleneF FreeTaxUSA Agent

    Is your daughter going to file a joint return with her spouse? And did she live with you for more than half the year?

    Here are some rules from the IRS about claiming dependents:

    • You can't claim a married person who files a joint return as a dependent unless that joint return is filed only to claim a refund of withheld income tax or estimated tax paid."
    • "The child must have lived with you for more than half of the year."

    For more information, read here:

    The IRS has a great tool that can help you determine if you can claim her. You can find that here:

  • hillelana1
    hillelana1 Member Newcomer

    Does being away at college count as living with you?

  • emmao
    emmao FreeTaxUSA Agent

    The IRS states, "Temporary absences: You and your qualifying person are considered to live together even if one or both of you are temporarily absent from your home due to special circumstances such as illness, education, business, vacation, military service, or detention in a juvenile facility. It must be reasonable to assume the absent person will return to the home after the temporary absence. You must continue to keep up the home during the absence." Link

    As long as her being away at college is a temporary absence, then she would still be considered to live with you while she is away.