1st Year MFJ - Spouse has no ITIN or SSN yet

MFJ_Newb Member Posts: 2 Newcomer


My spouse and I were US married in 2023 but she does not reside in the US yet. She has foreign income and we're in the process of permanent residency.

With a tax status of Married Filing Jointly, what # should I enter in the FreeTaxUSA software for her (not yet existing) ITIN/SSN, which I will amend later?

Thanks for your help.

Best Answer

  • KristineS
    KristineS FreeTaxUSA Agent Posts: 109
    Answer ✓

    Hi MFJ_Newb,

    Congrats on getting married!

    Unless or until your wife is able to get a Social Security Number issued to her, she may apply for an ITIN, Individual Tax Identification Number, on Form W-7. An ITIN can be used in FreeTaxUSA. General processing time is approximately 7 -8 weeks with the IRS. You may need the help of a Certifying Acceptance Agent (CAA).

    Generally, you would file as Married Filing Separate, print and sign your tax return and write NRA (non-resident alien) in the place where the SSN or ITIN would normally go. You would only report your income.

    You also have the option to file Jointly and would report her income on the return and pay tax on that income, and may or may not qualify for a credit for foreign tax paid.

    Our software does not support Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately without an SSN or ITIN.