simplified home office expense-where to enter?

joylindsey Member Posts: 4 Newcomer

How/where can i enter home office expenses using the simplified method ($5 sq ft.)?


  • AlexO
    AlexO FreeTaxUSA Agent Posts: 74

    Great question, joylindsey!

    Is this a home office for a Schedule C business? Keep in mind, that W-2 employees cannot deduct business expenses.

    If so, within FreeTaxUSA, select 'Income' > 'Business Income (Schedule C)'. Select 'Yes' to enter a new business or 'Edit' for an already existing business. Then either continue until you reach a page in which you can indicate you have home office expenses, or select 'Edit' for 'Home Office Expenses'.

    When entering the home office, you'll be given the option to use the simplified method.

  • joylindsey
    joylindsey Member Posts: 4 Newcomer

    Appreciate it. Thanks a bunch.

  • OutFishing
    OutFishing Member Posts: 12 Level 4

    Thank you. I was going to ask the same thing. I use the simplified method for my home office. You answer is much appreciated.