When will the IRS open for the 2023 tax season?

Options
OutFishing
OutFishing Member Level 4

Does anyone at FreeTaxUSA have information about when the IRS will open for e-file. Seems like the IRS is somewhat inconsistent on this. I saw this IRS Newsroom article: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/get-ready-irs-website-has-helpful-resources-for-taxpayers

All the IRS says is, "Later this month, the IRS anticipates announcing a start date for the 2024 filing season when the agency will begin accepting tax returns."

Thanks for any insights. I'd like to get a jump on taxes this year and get them behind me.

Best Answers

• KristineS
    KristineS FreeTaxUSA Agent
    Answer ✓
    Options

January 29, 2024 is opening day at the IRS.

Your state may or may not be ready to accept tax returns at that time. Check our FreeTaxUSA website to find out the latest information on whether your state is accepting tax returns.

If your state is not ready to accept your state tax return, you can still file your federal return.

Simply keep checking back to find out when your state is ready. We'll post that information as soon as your state gives the go ahead.

• OutFishing
    OutFishing Member Level 4
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thank you. That is a little later than prior years. You take what you can get, right?

Answers