Where's My Refund IRS Tool

Options
MatthewD
MatthewD FreeTaxUSA Team
edited January 9 in IRS News

The IRS "Where's my Refund?" tool is the most commonly used IRS tool. The frustration most people have, is the messages in the past have been very vague. For example, if your refund is taking a long time, the message may just be, "Processing".

This year the IRS has made some improvements. Here is a list of enhancements:

1. Works more seamlessly on mobile devices
  2. Enhanced wording when your refund is still being process. For example, if you need to verify your identity or answer a letter coming your way from the IRS.
  3. More detailed refund status

When you use the IRS Where's My Refund tool, you need to have this information ready:

• Your Social Security or individual taxpayer ID number (ITIN)
  • Your filing status
  • The exact refund amount on your return

Also, keep in mind that the status is only updated ONCE every 24 hours overnight. No need to check it multiple times a day. Generally, the status will show 3-4 days after your return is e-filed and accepted. Allow 4 weeks if you mailed a return for a refund status.

If you have a refund due, getting it as soon as possible, is often really important. We need the refund to pay bills, make home or car repairs, pay for college, etc. The IRS refund status page is really helpful to finding out when your refund will come.

Tagged: