If I start state return, then change federal info, will state return automatically update?

Options
scubamama
scubamama Member Newcomer

Finished with my federal return except I have to find a couple receipts for business expenses. If I choose to start working on the state returns before submitting the federal, will the state returns automatically update when I change info on federal return?

Once I'm done inputting will I still be allowed to e-file federal?

Lastly, this year I need to file as a California nonresident and Colorado resident. Does taxfreeusa offer state returns for a CA nonresident? Thank you!

Comments

• LaurenW
    LaurenW FreeTaxUSA Agent
    Options

Hi scubamama:

Great questions!

Yes, if you start your state return before you have finalized your federal return then everything will update as you go.

Most customers do work on both the federal and the state at the same time, and then submit them both at the same time. However, you will not be able to e-file your state return before your federal return, but you can submit your federal before your state. Does that answer your question?

Lastly, yes our site does support the preparation of a nonresident return for California.

Let us know if you have any further questions!