1099 question

Options
Godislove23
Godislove23 Member Newcomer

I have a 1099R that shows health ins premiums deducted, where if anywhere can I claim this on my return? Also, can I add it on the Michigan property taxes credit form under insurance premiums?

Comments

• Henry
    Henry FreeTaxUSA Agent
    Options

Hi Godislove23! You will generally want to enter your Form 1099-R information in the software exactly as it appears on the form that you received. Then if you have deductible health insurance expenses, you can enter those by using this menu path:

Deductions/Credits > Itemized Deductions > Medical Expenses

Most insurance premiums that you paid out of pocket (with after-tax dollars) are tax deductible, including health insurance premiums for medical care, dental care, vision, hearing, and other medical services.

Keep in mind that you can only deduct medical expenses on Schedule A if those expenses are greater than 7.5% of your adjusted gross income. Go ahead and enter any deductible expenses, and our software will calculate that for you based on the information you provide.

When it comes to entering your medical insurance premiums for the purpose of claiming the Michigan Homestead Property Tax Credit, you can enter any medical insurance or HMO premiums you paid for yourself and your family during 2023. The Form MI-1040CR instructions do specify that you should not include amounts paid with pre‑tax payroll contributions, medicare insurance premiums withheld from social security income, self-employed health insurance deduction amounts, amounts paid for income protection insurance (long-term disability), or long‑term care insurance. You will need to decide whether or not the premiums that you paid qualify to be included based on your situation.