What happend if I submit a 1040 form instead of a 1040 NR?

BelenTapia Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

Also I wrote my last name wrong, help me please


  • RBorch
    RBorch FreeTaxUSA Agent Posts: 22

    I apologize, we do not support the filing of a 1040-NR.

    If your return has already been accepted, you can file an amended return. You will need to explain that you need to file a 1040-NR. You would select to mail your amended return. You would then need to fill out form 1040-NR somewhere else and mail both your amended return and 1040-NR.  

    Please use the links below for more information on amending your return and filing form 1040-NR 

        https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p519.pdf  Read the information on page 36 

        https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040x.pdf    Read the information on page 5.  

    To file the correct return, do the following: 

    Enter your name, address, and social security number (SSN) or IRS individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) on the front of Form 1040X.  

    Do not enter any other information on page 1. Also, do not complete Parts I or II on page 2 of Form 1040X.  

    Enter in Part III the reason why you are filing Form 1040X.  

    Complete a new or corrected return (Form 1040, Form 1040NR, etc.).  

    Across the top of the new or corrected return, write "Amended." 

    Attach the new or corrected return to the back of Form 1040X.