I did not receive 1099-S for sale of primary home that would be excluded. Do I need one?

kaykay Member Newcomer

Home sale would be excluded. Less than 500,000 for married and primary home.

Best Answer

  • KristineS
    KristineS FreeTaxUSA Agent
    Answer ✓

    Hi kaykay,

    You may or may not be issued Form 1099-S, Sale of Home, for the sale of your home. Contact your title company.

    It it quite common not to receive the form for the sale of a primary residence. If you do however, the form creates a reporting requirement on the tax return even if you meet the exclusion rules for capital gains.