File Federal before State Return

ChipN Member Newcomer

I need a form from my federal return to include with my state return. When I try to file my returns it tells me I can e-file the federal return but I have to print & mail my state. Is there a way to file just federal without filing my state return at the same time? Or can I switch the state return from print & mail to e-file after federal is e-filed?