Accidentally started 2 state returns. Can’t delete the Maine one..

bhblock Member Newcomer

My son lives in PA but in 2023 he had income in both ME and PA. By accident, he started 2 state returns - for ME and PA. Now he realizes he only needs to file the PA return, and pay PA state taxes on the ME income, but the FreeTaxUSA program says he cannot delete the ME return he started. What can he do??


  • MatthewD
    MatthewD FreeTaxUSA Team

    I suggest you contact our Support group. He may need to have the ME return refunded before he can remove it. Generally, if you worked in a nonresident state, you must file a return and report those earnings as a nonresident. He can claim a credit for taxes paid to ME on his PA return.