**Please Help** Premium Tax Credit software error!

Options
sanman034
sanman034 Member Newcomer
FreeTaxUSA is telling me that I need to print and mail my tax return because I allocated 0% to myself in form 8962 for the APTC.

I am on my parents health insurance but file my own taxes and am not a dependent on their return. They claim 100% of the premium, so I claim 0% percent and get the below error. I have read many others who have had the same issue. I do not want to mail my taxes in and paid to have them electronically filed. Please help.

"The IRS won't allow returns to be e-filed that have no premiums, SLCSP amounts, or advance payment amounts on Form 1095-A after any shared allocations. Please go back to the Your Health Insurance Marketplace Statement (Form 1095-A) screen and double check your information. If your information is correct, you'll need to mail your return instead of e-filing."

Thank You

Answers

• RyanZ
    RyanZ FreeTaxUSA Agent
    Options

Please contact Support while logged into your FreeTaxUSA account, so that we can provide you with specific information for your situation.

• sanman034
    sanman034 Member Newcomer
    Options

I did contact support while logged in. The response was generic and not helpful, basically saying to check my figures again. My figures are correct, the IRS accepts 0% for the entry and there are dozens and dozens of people who are having the same problem with the software. It does not happen on other software, just FreeTaxUSA.

Thank you

• RyanZ
    RyanZ FreeTaxUSA Agent
    Options

Hello sanman034,

I was able to look into the difficulty that you experienced with trying to claim the 0% allocation of the Premium Tax Credit, and I responded to you through your account.

Please reach out if we can assist you again.

• nasanc15
    nasanc15 Member Level 2
    Options

Having the same issue as the original poster, also contacted support but leaving this here too since its close to the deadline. I have a 0% allocation and the only places 0 is put on the form is Line 1, Line 24, and each Line 30efg, Line 30abcd have the correct information and the rest of the form is blank. Is there supposed to be 0s elsewhere on the form? Because of this I'm also not able to e-file my 2 state returns that i paid for also even though the information I put into the software is correct.

• KeriC
    KeriC FreeTaxUSA Agent
    Options

I apologize that the 0% allocation will not allow you to e-file your return. The IRS has what is known as a "business rule, F8962-048". The IRS rule is set up so that if you aren't claiming any of the allocations, it won't allow you to e-file.

Our website charges a fee to prepare your state return. That is, we charge a fee to calculate your tax due/refund and place the correct numbers in the right place on your tax forms. This fee is the same regardless of whether you e-file or mail a paper return. If you wish to print your state forms from our website, you will still be charged the same preparation fee. If you decide to not file your returns using our software, please contact Support from within your account to request a refund.