Availability of State Underpayment of Estimated Income

Options
plin
plin Member Newcomer

Hi I found that I was able to use Maryland's Form 502UP "Underpayment of Estimated Income Tax by Individuals" for my taxes, but helping someone else do theirs, found that North Carolina's D-422 "Underpayment of Estimated Tax by Individuals" was unavailable on Free Tax USA.

Am I understanding correctly that this seemingly equivalent form may not be available depending on the state? And I won't be able to file state taxes altogether, using Free Tax USA, if I need this form?

Answers

• rachels
    rachels FreeTaxUSA Agent
    Options

Hi plin,

You are correct—we have different support for state forms, depending on the state. You can review our list of supported state forms here:

https://www.freetaxusa.com/forms-state

The instructions for Form D-422 (at the bottom of the first page) state: "Do not file this form with your return. Keep it for your records." That is why we do not support this particular form. It should not be filed with your state tax return, so we do not prepare it in our software.

• plin
    plin Member Newcomer
    Options

Thanks rachel. I see that the resulting number on D-422 can be reported on the main D-400 which you do have. Is there any way to affect Line 26e on D-400 using your software?

• kiarab
    kiarab FreeTaxUSA Agent
    Options

Hello,

Currently, there is not a way to do so. We are constantly adding new features, so it might be something we support in the future. You should still be able to file and usually what happens is the state will then send you a bill with the calculated underpayment penalty.