Account Recovery process is BROKEN for brand new users

Options
awayman
awayman Member Posts: 3 Level 2

I created an account and got logged out before I got anything really set up. I didn't write down my password and it isn't accepting the one I thought I used, so I need to reset it. The account reset process requires my social security number, but they don't have my social security number yet, so there is no way to reset my password or recover my account. There's no way to contact support unless I'm logged in either, so now there's just no way for me to use this service. You have my phone number and email to identify me; why are you switching to SSN for a password reset identifier when there are situations like this?

Tagged:

Comments

• RyanZ
    RyanZ FreeTaxUSA Agent Posts: 70
    Options

I apologize for the inconvenience you are experiencing with the account recovery process requiring your SSN. If you are unable to log in to the account with the original password, please create a NEW user account. You don't need to worry about the first account since it doesn't contains any of your information.

• awayman
    Options

I can't create a new account either, unless I set up a new email address just for this, and I'm not going to do that.

• RyanZ
    RyanZ FreeTaxUSA Agent Posts: 70
    Options

You are allowed to have multiple accounts using the same email address. This is also useful for parents who are filing a tax return on behalf of their minor children.

• awayman
    Options

I already tried creating a new account with the same email and it said I couldn't because that email is already in use...or maybe it was the phone number. Either way, I wasn't able to do that.

• TaxMorgan
    TaxMorgan FreeTaxUSA Agent Posts: 12
    Options

You can use the same email and phone number for multiple accounts. However, you will need to enter a different username. If you are trying to create another account with the same username this may be why you are getting a notification that you are not able to create the account.