Amend or edit a return - wrong W-2 entered

toki4004 Member Newcomer

I just filed taxes and realized that I entered info for W-2 2022, instead of W-2 2023. My Fed tax has been accepted. I am due a refund from fed, and I owe for state. It states that they recommend we don't amend until we receive a refund and THEN do it. At the same time, it allows you to edit rerturn. So, should I edit OR amend later?


  • Henry
    Henry FreeTaxUSA Agent

    Hi taki4004, if the IRS and your state have accepted your 2023 tax return for processing, then you won't be able to edit any of the fields in the software -- your entries will be locked. In order to make changes to your return, you will need to start an amended 2023 return. You can do this by selecting ACCOUNT near the top of the screen and choosing the 'Amend Tax Return' option there.

    We do strongly recommend that you wait to file an amended return until you have received any refund you expect from the original return as that information is used to calculate your amended return. It is better to enter the refund amount you actually receive rather than the amount you expect to receive (in case the IRS makes an adjustment to the amount that they send). Sometimes, the IRS corrects errors on your tax return when they process it. It is possible that the IRS will catch the fact that the wrong W-2 information was entered for 2023. If that is the case, you will receive an IRS notice explaining the adjustment or asking for additional forms for documentation.