Don't get behind on your taxes the computer headache

Options
Halfpint1
Halfpint1 Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

I had work for public partnership LLC for 6 years study and did not file my taxes and I'm trying to fix it and catch up and I haven't been able to get all my W-2 forms but each year was the same should I start from 2015 then go took 2021 is that might be screwing things up. Or I heard you only need to go back 3 years but I'm looking at my retirement I need all the money I can get when I'm old

Tagged:

Answers

• KristineS
    KristineS FreeTaxUSA Agent Posts: 121
    Options

Hi Halfpint1,

Thank you for posting.

The IRS 'generally' only wants the six most current years' worth of tax returns. So that would mean 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, and 2018. See IRS Policy 5-133 in this article here for more information.

If you create an account online at www.irs.gov, you should be able to retrieve the last six years worth of income information that was reported to the IRS under your name and SSN. You will need to use the ID.me verification process.

Once logged in, on the Welcome page in the Records box, select View Tax Records. Then in the Get Transcripts Online box select Get Transcripts. In the Select Reason drop down choose "other", ignore the Customer File Number, and 'Go.'

Under Wage & Income Transcript you may select 'Show All' and multiple years will open up for an income reported to you within the last six years and most likely prior years as well.