FreeTaxUSA forgot to list IRA distributions on my MA state tax

Options
vjmasin
vjmasin Member Newcomer

I was wondering why I was getting such a big tax refund for my state taxes and after mulling it over - this is after I filed - I looked back and realized that the software never brought over my IRA distributions.

There is a form to enter these but the software never filled it in. This means my filing is incorrect. And I can't even use the software to amend it, since it is the one that made the mistake.

Any advice for what to do next? Do I wait until I get the refund before correcting it, and how would I do so? What about any penalty/interest I may be charged for their mistake? How do I even report the software bug to FreeTaxUSA?

Comments

• vjmasin
    vjmasin Member Newcomer
    Options

I started filling out the amended FreeTaxUSA form and discovered that there was a box I might have missed where to enter my IRA distributions. The software did not require me to enter anything in the box (unlike some other areas where they require it, even when it is $0) even though it told me my federal return had a value for this.

So I think I know what to do now - just file via the amended form. But I do wish FreeTaxUSA would change the software to require one to enter a value in that field.

• KeriC
    KeriC FreeTaxUSA Agent
    Options

I'm sorry for the confusion and frustration this must have caused. I am going to pass on your feedback to our product development team so they can hopefully address it and improve the software for future years. We appreciate your feedback AND your follow-up once you determined where the issue was. Thank you!

• vjmasin
    vjmasin Member Newcomer
    Options

Thank you! I am so impressed that my post was seen by someone who can actually make a difference. I really appreciate it, and appreciate FreeTaxUSA even more! (Now if only you could get me a refund for the $15 I paid to file an amendment. šŸ˜‰)