Tax returns

Options
easondorothea0417
easondorothea0417 Member Newcomer

I did my taxes it was 21/22 taxes it states since they were from previous years I have to mail them in I called IRS but I can't get info regarding them plus I didn't get either stimulus checks either what should I do how long does it take to get info and could I have did them electronically

Answers

• Henry
    Henry FreeTaxUSA Agent
    Options

Hello easondorothea0417, let me address each of your questions:

1-You are correct, the IRS requires most prior year returns to be mailed after a certain point. Did you print and mail copies of your 2021 and 2022 returns to the IRS? If not, mailing instructions are provided at the end of the Filing menu in your 2021 and 2022 account.

2-You can go to the following IRS website to track the status of your refunds: https://www.irs.gov/refunds

Information is available there for 2021, 2022, and 2023 tax returns, but you'll need to wait at least four weeks after filing a paper return. If you try to check the status of your 2021 or 2022 refunds and no information is available, then that likely means that the IRS hasn't processed those returns yet and hasn't updated their system with your information. You'll need to keep checking back from updates. Your information should show there when they get to your returns.

3-The IRS says that you should file a 2020 tax return and claim the Recovery Rebate Credit for any missing portion of either the first or second stimulus payments. If you need to file a 2020 return, please use the following link to login to our 2020 software:

https://www.freetaxusa.com/2020

You will be asked about the stimulus payments when you get to the EIP Information screens under the Deductions/Credits menu tab. The Recovery Rebate Credit will then be applied to your tax return based on your entries there.

If you need to claim a missing third stimulus payment, that would be done by filing a 2021 tax return and claiming the Recovery Rebate Credit for that payment. It sounds like you have already filed a 2021 return, so hopefully you claimed that credit when you filed.

4-The IRS tells taxpayers that it takes '4 weeks or more' to process mailed returns. Just be aware that it generally takes them longer than 4 weeks, so be prepared to wait a while for your 2021 and 2022 returns to be processed and for those refunds to be issued. The best way to get updates on the status is to use the 'Where's My Refund?' tool linked above under #2.