Can I file a joint-return on my first year?

Options
leo65161
leo65161 Member Newcomer
edited April 7 in Filing my taxes

Hello community!

I arrived in the USA at the beginning of 2023 with my wife (from Canada) and were therefore non-residents at the beginning of the year, but both residents at the end of the year (L visa, with presence test, both of us have SSN).

Can I use FreeTaxUSA to do a joint return in this case or must do dual-status return without FreeTaxUSA then (1040-NR not supported)?

Based on publication 519, there's a paragraph regarding "Choosing Resident Alien Status" which requires that my wife and I both write a statement to apply to be considered a US resident for the entire year and be able to make a joint return. Just want confirmation that I understood everything and no other implications.

Thanks for your help!

Answers

• MatthewD
    MatthewD FreeTaxUSA Team
    Options

Hello,

We are missing some information. Did you have earned income from Canada? If you did, then you cannot use FreeTaxUSA even if you can file a Form 1040, since we do not support reporting Foreign Earned Income on a Form 1040.

• leo65161
    leo65161 Member Newcomer
    edited April 9
    Options

Thanks for your reply!

Yes I did have a Canadian income for Jan-Feb.

With FreeTaxUSA, can I print at the end instead of eFile and then add the missing forms myself before mailing out the package? It's what I was planning to do since I also need to request an ITIN for my daughter (form W7).

Let me know about the joint return to confirm if thats an option, thank you.

• MatthewD
    MatthewD FreeTaxUSA Team
    Options

Yes, that is an option. You can always select the option to Mail and Print instead of e-file.