How to import Turbotax 2022??

Options
stts44444
stts44444 Member Newcomer
edited April 14 in Filing my taxes

I have AGI less than $20,000 so Im using FreeTax. But it doesn't have any button to upload my turbotax 2022. It says taxes imported. But I didnt import anything. I had an account so I must have started something last year but abandoned it. I filed with Turbo tax. So maybe I had a headache with this last year like Im starting out with a headache this year. The imported info is wrong. I need turbotax to be imported so ALL of my info is right. Anybody know how to upload my turbo tax return from last year? Maybe being free instead of full service that it wont let me. If not Im buying Turbotax because I cant afford a screwup with wrong data. Thank you. I looked and there is no option to even start over fresh. It just says continue on with 2023. Unless it lets me upload last years taxes, this will not have last years numbers. And I will mess it up trying to plop all that in manually within 24 hours. I got carry overs for deductions and Turbo tax has kept it strait for a decade.

Best Answer

• MintchipLover
    MintchipLover Member Level 2
    edited April 14 Answer ✓
    Options

It only gives you one chance to upload your last years forms. So if you didn't select it when you made an account, you don't have another chance. If you didn't choose to upload it the first time you made an account you don't have another chance (since it sounds like you started one last year?). They let you have multiple accounts with the same email, so I would make a new account and make sure to select the 'upload from another software' option. I found a video of theirs about what the option to upload looks like, hopefully this helps

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2-xwLQvV2O/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Answers

• stts44444
    Options

Oh wow. That is very short sighted. It breeds frustration and makes people leave. Probably why I left last year. But thanks for this and I will give it a try.

• kiarab
    kiarab FreeTaxUSA Agent
    Options

Hello,

The reason we do not let you upload it after you go past a certain point is because you can then start entering personal tax information. Uploading your prior year tax returns at that point could overwrite and delete the work and such you have done up to that point.

So to prevent confusion and errors, we do not allow it once you pass that page.

• stts44444
    Options

Well you have to look at it this way. I was at the beginning and never saw a way to load my prior years taxes. That is alot of extra work and worry. I had carry overs. I could only assume that something was not right from the start. And there was no obvious way to start over. I could not even delete my account. That is a terrible way to be. Last year I abandoned this program. I don't remember why, but I certainly must have run into a problem that I could not figure out. So if you want more business, you can't be corralling filers into a dead end. Taxes ****. And wasting time on taxes sucks even worse. So I did what the forum said this time. I did not have a forum login so I did not find the forum last year. I re-registered with a new user name with the same email address to start over again. There was nothing intuitive about it. Then I was able to make a filing that started with the prior years upload. And the rest lead to a return that was similar to last years. I almost quit again this year. There was not much time to wait for a forum response. And I was not interested in hand typing everything to end up with a ton of mistakes. Loading prior year gets me the framework of how my taxes work. Because I don't remember how to do it year after year.

• MatthewD
    MatthewD FreeTaxUSA Team
    Options

Hi STTS,

Once you have uploaded a prior year return into your account, and then filed a new return with FTU, there is no need to upload last year's return again. The information will roll forward from your prior year return as long as you use the same account username and login.