Confusion - I have two FreeTaxUSA logins/files-both under the same Social Security nos

Options
dcschultz75
dcschultz75 Member Newcomer

I have created two files in FreeTaxUSA. They both have the same main taxpayer Soc Security numbers for the taxpayer and spouse. One is for the 2018 tax year and one is for the 2023 tax year and was created to file an extension for 2023 and later to be used to file the completed 2023 tax return. To create the 2018 tax return, I imported my 2017 Turbo Tax pdf. It worked fine and imported all of my data to get me ready to complete 2018. I mainly needed Depreciable Assets for my Rental properties... to get 2018 started. Otherwise, I could have started from scratch and entered everything manually. I was able to complete 2018 but have not filed it. I actually have to do paper returns and plan to send the IRS all years in the same envelop with each year inside its own envelope .Then I needed to do 2023 Tax return and I opened up a new file (which I realize is not what you should do) to input my 2023 tax data. I found out that FreeTaxUSA can't differentiate between files that have the same social security number. I knew that because I was unable to control which file (year) I would login into. And today I got into the file for 2018. On April 15th I did my 2023 return, completed it, but there were a couple of questions I couldn't answer so I did an extension. So now, I am wanting to work on 2018 and all returns up to 2023. I had a health condition and did not file from 2018 to 2022. I have talked to the IRS and I am filing all of these returns now. I owe no tax in any of the years. I have some refunds coming for most years. I have lost my refunds for 2020, 2019, and 2018 because of the three year statute the IRS has. I want to continue to complete each year's return in the same FreeTaxUSA file. How can I do that? Can the data be merged into one file? And how do I control which file I log into when I am logging in FreeTaxUSA. Will it be 2018 or 2023? Today as I said, I was logged into 2018... why? I do not know.... Because a few days ago, I was in the tax year 2023 file and was working and created that year. After I created 2023, when I tried to log back into 2023 and/or the 2018 file, FreeTaxUSA gave me error messages and wouldn't let me in either file. Now, I come back tonight and it lets me into the 2018 file???? And now I need to add 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and then finish 2023 which is in the other FREETAXUSA file... But I have two files out there and do not understand how to combine them and or how to differentiate them when I log in so that I can log in to the correct file??? Any help appreciated greatly...

Best Answers

• Henry
    Henry FreeTaxUSA Agent
    edited April 28 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi dcschultz75, I hope I can help to clear up the confusion.

As you mentioned, you are able to create multiple accounts in our software, if needed for your situation. You can use the same contact information (email address and phone number) but are required to choose a unique username for each account. We do not have a way to link separate accounts or transfer information between accounts, so it will be up to you to keep track of the various usernames you have created and the tax years each account is associated with.

You are able to control which account you log into by deciding which username and password to use when entering your login credentials:

-When you enter the username and password associated with your original account, then you will be able to access the 2018 information and any other year's tax returns started within that account.

-When you enter the username and password associated with your newer account, then you will be able to access the 2023 extension you filed and the 2023 tax return you started, along with any other year's tax returns started within the newer account.

Once you know which account you want to access, you will need to decide which year you want to work on within that account. To work on the current year's tax return (2023) you can simply go to our homepage, click on the blue 'Sign In' button, and enter the appropriate username and password. On the other hand, if you want to work on a prior year return, please go to our homepage, click on Prior Year, choose the year you want to access, and enter the appropriate username and password.

You can prepare a tax return for every year in each account. We generally recommend that you file all of your returns from within the same account. That keeps all of your information together in one place, makes it easier to remember one username and password, and allows your prior year information to roll forward to each subsequent year within that account.

Now that you have two accounts created, you will need to decide if you would prefer to proceed with filing your 2018 tax return in the original account or if you'd like to re-enter your 2018 information in the newer account so that it can be linked to your 2023 information.

If you don't mind starting over with your 2018 return, you can use this link to access our 2018 software: https://www.freetaxusa.com/2018

When you are prompted to enter your username and password, enter the login information associated with your newer account. The software will walk you through the filing process from there.

Once the 2018 return has been completed and finalized, sign out of the 2018 software and return to our homepage. Select Prior Year and choose to file a 2019 tax return. If you do things in this order, your finalized 2018 information will roll forward to your 2019 account. Finish your 2019 tax return, finalize it, then login to the 2020 software, and so on until you have completed your tax returns for each year.

Do you remember the username associated with each of your accounts? If you have trouble accessing either one, please try using the Sign In helps on our homepage. You can also reach out to our customer support for assistance by emailing support@support.freetaxusa.com.

• KristineS
    KristineS FreeTaxUSA Agent
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi dcschultz75,

You can sign into your account and delete or change information. The entire account can't be deleted, but most of the information can. Information that can't be deleted can be changed and saved to be irrelevant information.

If however, you are in the state of CA or VA, please let us know. Different rules apply.

• dcschultz75
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thank you so much Kristine for info! I love FreeTaxUSA software! Getting a handle on it…. Bye Turbo Tax!

Answers

• dcschultz75
    Options

Henry…. thank you so much for your response. I have been under the weather for the last week. So I am now just getting to going through your response to my questions I will be starting over with FreeTaxUSA tomorrow morning. I think it will be better to do that…. just start everything over and move forward from there. I am quickly figuring out the FreeTaxUSA software protocol thanks to your help! One question that pops up in my mind is whether I can delete the old accounts, just so they're not floating around out there??