Home Energy Credit HELP!

Options
Shann
Shann Member Level 2

I bought an energy star door and had it installed. Where do I enter it? The options are only for qualified solar electric, qualified Solar heating, qualified small wind energy and qualified geothermal heat pumps. What does an energy efficient door go under???? I don’t want to put in the wrong place but I don’t wanna miss my credit. I shouldn’t have to pay another $7.99 to ask support this question either. I paid for the product and this general question should be able to hopefully be answered by the freetaxusa team. Or someone who knows the answer. Thanks in advance

Answers

• Shann
    Shann Member Level 2
    Options

figured it out. thanks

• Henry
    Henry FreeTaxUSA Agent
    edited March 22
    Options

Hi Shann, I'm glad you were able to figure things out! If you have any other questions, I want to make sure you are aware that help is available. We provide customer support to all of our customers (without the need to pay for an upgrade). To send customer support a message, just sign in to your account and click on 'Support' in the upper right corner of the screen. You should get a response pretty quickly.

In the meantime, for anyone else who has this question, you can enter your energy efficient home improvement costs by selecting Deductions/Credits > Common Deductions/Credits > Home Energy Credit from the menu. Answer yes when asked if you made energy efficiency improvements to your home. Enter your home information.

You will eventually come to the 'Energy Efficiency Improvement Information' screen, where you are asked, "Did you make qualified energy efficiency improvements to your main home during 2023?" If you answer yes there, the following screen will prompt you to enter your costs for Energy Star Program exterior doors.

• Shann
    Shann Member Level 2
    Options

Thank you. I followed those steps but got stuck at the screen I mentioned. I put a random amount in one of the qualified fields. Only then did it take me to the screen where I was able to enter specific information for the exterior door. I then backed out to erase the random number and it kept the door info after that. Prior to that if you didn’t enter something in one of the qualified fields it does not take you eventually to the 'Energy Efficiency Improvement Information' screen. That’s why I was so lost. I was like the door doesn’t fit any of those categories. To leave it blank takes you out of the section.

• MatthewD
    MatthewD FreeTaxUSA Team
    Options

Hi Shann,

Thank you for your feedback. The Energy Credits have been added on by congress and are always changing. So that section can be a little complicated to navigate. It is something we are looking at to make it more user friendly.

• TaxMan1
    TaxMan1 Member Newcomer
    Options

Having similar issues where unable to enter information to claim Energy Star HVAC installation cost

• KeriC
    KeriC FreeTaxUSA Agent
    Options

I'll include screenshots below to help you navigate to the section where you can enter your Energy Star HVAC information.

Yes will need to be selected for the first question.

Next, make sure your home has been entered. If you need to enter your home, it will look like the second screenshot below.

These will all need to be selected as Yes.

Leave this page blank if it doesn't apply.

Leave this page blank if it doesn't apply.

Select Yes.

Here, you will find the space to enter your Energy Efficient HVAC costs.